The following guiding principles for the Policy Framework reflect the current values and desired goals underlying patient safety policy in Canada:
- Patient care is as safe as possible across Canada, and efforts are made to improve care when a patient safety incident occurs;
- Jurisdictions and organizations have mechanisms for measuring and monitoring safety;
- Patients, families and the public are actively engaged and empowered;
- Supportive and engaged leadership promotes a culture of safety;
- A caring and just culture is established at all levels of the Canadian healthcare system; and
- The health workforce is engaged and supported.