Patients for Patient Safety Canada
Patients for Patient Safety Canada is a patient-led program of the Canadian Patient Safety Institute. We are the voice of the patient* and bring our safety experiences to help improve patient safety at all levels in the health system. Our unique and valuable perspective complements those of care providers, health leaders, policy makers, and managers of healthcare organizations and by working in partnership we help ensure that patient safety decisions and initiatives are truly patient-centred and result in safe care. Read about our independent evaluation.
We work collaboratively with others to contribute at all levels in the healthcare system by:
- Sharing our experiences, observations, and perspectives
- Representing the patient and family perspective in committees and working groups
- Identifying, initiating, sharing, and leading patient safety projects
Resources: patient and provider videos, resources, webinars.
Patients Canada is a patient-led organization that fosters collaboration between patients, family caregivers and the healthcare community. The main programs and activities include:
- Working with partners to help them become more patient centred
- Supporting patient engagement
- Working on service redesign with partners
- Acknowledging what works in our system now
- Participating in research from the patients' point-of-view
- Discussions with healthcare thinkers and policy makers
Children's Healthcare Canada Family Network
The Children’s Healthcare Canada Family Network will help to advance the strategic priorities of Children’s Healthcare Canada while providing a virtual space for families to connect, share and advance issues and concerns that matter most to them. The Network will also act as a focus group and help support the identification of subject matter experts for Children’s Healthcare Canada, whether for policy, advocacy or knowledge mobilization activities. The Network will together identify and prioritize time limited projects of relevance to participants and members, as resources allow. The Network will help to formalize the relationship of families and caregivers with Children’s Healthcare Canada and one another.
Paediatric International Patient Safety and Quality Collaborative
PIPSQC is an informal, international collaborative of professionals who share a passion for patient safety and quality in paediatrics, and who interact together across organizational and geographic boundaries, to advance learning and improvements in these areas. OBJECTIVES:
- To stimulate interaction among members and member institutions
- To enable members to learn from one another through the sharing of issues, ideas, best practices lessons learned, problems and their solutions, research findings and other relevant aspects of mutual interest
- To generate new knowledge and share learning that occurs in the collaborative with others
- To generate tangible, measurable improvements in patient safety and quality improvement practices and patient outcomes
Patient Commando creates social impact by providing a platform that amplifies the patient voice, increases patient engagement, and affects practice change by empowering the patient and cultivating collaborative relationships between patient and healthcare providers. Patient Commando Productions is dedicated to lifting the veil of silence that so often accompanies the onset of illness. We are a platform for stories that explore the patient experience to serve as a source of inspiration and insight to all those confronted with the challenges of illness. Resources: stories, whitepaper, patient survival guide, writing a patient narrative.
Canadian Child and Youth Health Coalition
Eleven national organizations (including Canadian Association of Paediatric Health Centers and Canadian Family Advisory Network) have come together under the umbrella of the Canadian Child & Youth Health Coalition (CCYHC) with a common vision to advance the cause of child and youth health and health care in Canada. The collective mandate of CCYHC is to advocate on national child and youth health, healthcare and policy issues and decisions that will benefit from the collective expertise and influence of the Coalition members.
The Center for Patient Protection
It is an independent, non-profit, advocate for safer care and more positive outcomes for patients and families in the hospital setting. What We Do:
- Foster wider awareness about the epidemic of avoidable hospital harm that claims thousands of lives every year.
- Build initiatives to help inform, engage and protect patients and families, in real time, during their hospital journey.
- Advocate for greater transparency in the disclosure of medical errors and safety performance indicators.
- Work to encourage the best providers in building safer, more open and compassionate cultures that emphasize patient– and family-centered values.
At the core of our mission is the belief that healthcare providers have a duty not only to prevent harm but to help heal patients and families when it occurs. Being candid in all aspects of patient and family interaction, and avoiding the typical deny and defend response that often follows errors, is vital to that healing relationship.
Resources – a comprehensive collection from around the world. Blog, trigger tool, reporting system.