A Webinar with the Patient Safety Champion Awards 2017 Finalists
Archive: November 24, 2017 – 11 am MT / 1 pm ET
Healthcare organizations in Canada are making great strides in promoting safer patient care through engagement and partnership. Now the best of these organizations would like to share their successes and lessons learned with you!
North York General Hospital
Never Event Actions Teams
- Quick to align its efforts to support the elimination or reduction of organizational never events.
- Created 15 Never Event Action Teams (NEATs) to lead the identification, measurement and documentation of strategies to mitigate and decrease the likelihood and severity of all 15 never events.
- Developed a phased roll-out strategy, beginning during Canadian Patient Safety Week in October 2016, and continuing until April 2018 with each team working with an action plan to identify and prevent a prescribed never event.
Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital
Innovative integration of youth and family leaders in accreditation
- Developed an innovative and original framework that fully integrates 17 family and youth leaders into its Accreditation Steering Committees and working groups across the hospital to drive improvement.
- Created the Family Leader Accreditation Group committee where staff and family leaders meet and discuss, share, and update quality and safety initiatives.
Peterborough Regional Health Centre
Safe Handovers and Clinical Cultural Competence
- Creating The Safe Handover project which involved the redesign of nursing transfer of accountability to a bedside model that integrates patient and family input and applies a standardized approach to safety checks.
- Creating the Clinical Cultural Competence project which included the development and implementation of mandatory training on health disparities, and approaches to assessment and communication that would support patient safety and health equity.