Given the broad range of potential causes of hospital associated VTE, clinical and system reviews should be conducted to identify latent causes and determine appropriate recommendations.
Occurrences of harm are complex with many contributing factors. Organizations need to:
- Measure and monitor the types and frequency of these occurrences.
- Use appropriate analytical methods to understand the contributing factors.
- Identify and implement solutions or interventions that are designed to prevent recurrence and reduce risk of harm.
- Have mechanisms in place to mitigate consequences of harm when it occurs.
To develop a more in-depth understanding of the care delivered to patients, chart audits, incident analyses and prospective analyses can be helpful in identifying quality improvement opportunities. Links to key resources for conducting chart audits and analysis methods are included in the Hospital Harm Improvement Resources Introduction.
If your review reveals that your cases of VTE are linked to specific processes or procedures, you may find these resources helpful:
- CHEST – American College of Chest Physicians www.chestnet.org
- International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis
International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis, Inc. (isth.org)
- Full list of Published Guidance - International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis, Inc. (isth.org)
- Spyropoulos, A.C., Levy, J.H., Ageno, W., Connors, J.M., Hunt, B.J., Iba, T., Levi, M., Samama, C.M., Thachil, J., Giannis, D., Douketis, J.D. and (2020), Scientific and Standardization Committee Communication: Clinical Guidance on the Diagnosis, Prevention and Treatment of Venous Thromboembolism in Hospitalized Patients with COVID‐19. J Thromb Haemost. Author Accepted Manuscript.
- Journal of Clinical Medicine https://www.mdpi.com/journal/jcm
- Nicholson M, Chan N, Bhagirath V, Ginsberg, J. Prevention of Venous Thromboembolism in 2020 and Beyond. J. Clin. Med. 2020, 9, 2467-2494. https://www.mdpi.com/2077-0383/9/8/2467
- Plos One https://journals.plos.org/plosone/
- Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada www.sogc.org
- Stop the Clot. https://www.stoptheclot.org/
- The Lancet Oncology https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanonc/home
- Thrombosis Canada. http://thrombosiscanada.ca/
- World Thrombosis Day. http://www.worldthrombosisday.org/