Choose the Right Tests for Patient Healthcare Safety
When it comes to medical tests, more isn't always better. More than two-thirds of diagnoses can be determined by medical history alone, without needing any tests.
Choosing Wisely Canada helps patients engage in conversations with healthcare providers about unnecessary tests, treatments, and procedures, to make smart and effective medical choices.
Unnecessary tests, treatments, and procedures can take away from patient care by:
- Potentially exposing patients or a family member to harm
- Resulting in more testing to investigate false positives
- Increasing stress levels while waiting for results or undergoing additional tests
- Straining healthcare system resources
CPSI encourages healthcare providers and patients to discuss which tests are needed and which ones are not. Four questions to consider:
- Is this test, treatment, or procedure really needed?
- What are the downsides?
- Are there simpler, safer options?
- What happens if we do nothing?
For more information, check out this
video by Dr. Mike Evans, or contact us at