April 2016 - Nine actions from the Surgical Safety Action Plan were planned to begin in 2015-2016. At the end of December 2015 one action has been completed, seven are underway and one has not yet started.
Led by the Canadian Institute for Health Information, background work began in Q3 on an action to identify surgical care safety indicators. Information was gathered to determine whether the Wait Time Alliance of Canada gathered information regarding patient safety during periods of waiting. Timelines for the action seeking to identify new leading practices in surgical safety were moved forward and are now due to be complete between September – December 2016. The action team tasked with identifying patient engagement tools and resources for engagement of surgical patients and families was formed in December. Broad strokes were laid for the plan forward.
Co-led by the Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA) and the Healthcare Insurance Reciprocal of Canada (HIROC), the final draft of the retrospective analysis of CMPA and HIROC medico-legal surgical data has been completed. Watch for a public release of the report in April 2016.
The Surgical Care Safety Leads Group continues to support and contribute to the advancement of the Surgical Care Safety Action Plan. The members are:
- Arlene Kraft, Healthcare Insurance Reciprocal of Canada
- Bonnie McLeod, Operating Room Nurses Association of Canada
- Carla Williams, Canadian Patient Safety Institute
- Cindy Hollister, Canada Health Infoway
- Claude Laflamme, Canadian Anesthesiologists Society
- Donna Davis, Patients for Patient Safety Canada
- Jennifer Rodgers, Canadian Patient Safety Institute
- Kapka Petrov, Patients for Patient Safety Canada
- Lorraine LeGrand Westfall, Canadian Medical Protective Association
- Sandi Kossey, Canadian Patient Safety Institute