TeamSTEPPS Canada®, developed by the United States Department of Defense and the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, improves safety and transforms culture in healthcare through better teamwork, communication, leadership, situational awareness, and mutual support. TeamSTEPPS Canada™ is an evidence-based teamwork system that optimizes patient care by improving communication and teamwork skills among healthcare professionals, including point-of-care staff. It includes a comprehensive set of ready-to-use materials and a training curriculum to integrate teamwork principles into a variety of settings.
The Health Quality Council of Alberta (HQCA) is proud to partner with the Canadian Patient Safety Institute (CPSI) to offer a foundational course for developing high-functioning teams. Organizations often try team-building exercises, which are energizing and valuable, but are quite different than investing in team training. TeamSTEPPS Canada offers participants the knowledge, skills, and tools they need to build and promote sustainable teamwork strategies.
Patient safety experts agree that effective teamwork skills are essential for safe, quality healthcare that prevents and mitigates harm. CPSI will help Canadian teams implement TeamSTEPPS Canada modules and content to address patient safety challenges. You will connect with a growing Canadian TeamSTEPPS Canada community, and learn from international TeamSTEPPS Canada colleagues.
The train-the-trainer format allows participants to learn about the materials and how to adopt teamwork strategies within their own teams to build capacity and momentum. Participants will become part of a community of TeamSTEPPS Canada practitioners within the province to ensure ongoing support and resource sharing.
This course is of value to participants from ANY organization with a focus on healthcare. Please send two or more participants to the course to ensure that outcomes can be sustainability implemented within your teams.
The next course is scheduled for March 17-18, 2020 in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
Cost: $550 Canadian/person + GST
TeamSTEPPS Canada™ Training Format
The TeamSTEPPS Master Trainer Training is a robust training session designed for healthcare professionals, including point-of-care staff, educators and leaders who have the breadth and influence in their work setting to implement the TeamSTEPPS tools.
The course will help participants develop the ability to:
- Increase knowledge relating to teamwork and communication issues leading to care breakdowns and potential patient harm
- Understand, select and apply appropriate TeamSTEPPS tools to address identified issues
- Create a project plan to address identified issues in teamwork and communication leading to successful implementation and sustainability
- Learn how to develop a TeamSTEPPS support team and roll out strategy
- Develop a measurement plan to monitor success of implementation
Upon completion of this training session the participant will be able to:
- Identify the teamwork and communication issues within their work environment
- Apply the knowledge gained in this training session to apply to the issues identified related teamwork and communication
- Utilize the TeamSTEPPS tools and resources to support TeamSTEPPS unit/organization roll-out
- Lead and inspire others in the application of TeamSTEPPS tools and resources
- Develop a community of TeamSTEPPS Master Trainer