This module defines organizational culture, including patient safety culture and the distinction between a 'blame' culture and a 'just' culture. An open and transparent culture requires honest reporting and rewards for those who implement patient safety principles into their workplace. Strategies to assess the culture are presented including the strengths and weaknesses of each method. The module concludes with information on how to create a positive safety culture.
This module will teach you about:
- organizational culture:
- elements of organizational culture, and
- features of a positive safety culture; and
- understanding how to assess culture at the organizational and unit level:
- strategies to improve the culture.
Learning Objectives include:
- List the attributes of a safe and just culture
- Describe how to create an organization in which patient safety is an essential component
Want to learn more? Download the module.
This document was revised in September 2017.
Learn more about
becoming a patient safety trainer so you can teach patient safety in your organization.
For more information, contact us at
firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-866-421-6933.