The frequency of preventable patient safety incidents signifies a serious concern for patient safety. Adverse drug events are one of the most common type of medical errors. This module introduces the frequency of medication-related events and the cultural aspects that help fuel the problem; it describes the medication system and some common vulnerabilities; and explores strategies for improving medication safety, including the essential and most important need for engaging patients in their care and in the design of care.
- Identify multi-system failures that lead to medication incidents;
- Understand the importance of clear communication;
- Identify how technology may provide system safeguards;
- Gain knowledge about human factors principles and use this understanding to learn effective approaches to improving safety;
- Learn the optimal approach to improving safety; and
- Describe effective strategies to reduce the risk of recurrent events
Want to learn more? Download the module.
Updated April 2018
Learn more about
becoming a patient safety trainer so you can teach patient safety in your organization.
For more information, contact us at
firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-866-421-6933.