The term 'Perioperative' refers to the preoperative, intraoperative and postoperative phases of the patient's surgical journey. When a patient enters the hospital for surgery the outcome is not only about the actual surgery but a series of events leading up to, during and after the surgery.
This module will discuss perioperative care and its complexities, the value of teamwork, effective communication, and standardized practices and protocols that provide safe patient care.
Additionally, many organizations have published toolkits and guidelines that support safe perioperative practices. Several of these are both addressed and referenced throughout the module.
This module will teach you about:
- The causes and effects of patient safety incidents in Perioperative Care
- The surgical pathway of a patient – departments and stakeholders
- The standards/ best practices to provide safe Perioperative Care
- Methods to close the loop to prevent unsafe practices
- The importance of Communication and Teamwork in providing safe Perioperative Care
Learning Objectives include engaging in exercises to:
- Standardize processes in perioperative care
- Enhance teamwork & communication in the perioperative arena
- Ensure meaningful patient and family centred care approaches are employed
- Facilitate engagement in evaluation of patient safety and quality initiatives
Want to learn more? Download the module.
This document was revised in September 2017.
Learn more about
becoming a patient safety trainer so you can teach patient safety in your organization.
For more information, contact us at
firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-866-421-6933.