Looking for innovative, engaging ideas for Canadian Patient Safety Week (CPSW) activities and events? Here’s a list to get you started.
Have a great idea you’d like to share with others? Simply email CPSW@cpsi-icsp.ca with a brief description of your activities or events. Feel free to submit photos, links to websites, or PDF files to help illustrate your idea. Remember, together we can do big things!
Prepare a patient safety week display
|“Room of Horrors”
- Simulate a patient room with “errors” or potential risks throughout. Invite staff, patients or visitors to identify the errors or risks as well as possible solutions.
- Offer prizes for participants.
|Play patient safety games or quizzes
|Brown-bag lunch sessions
- Pick patient safety topics to discuss throughout the week
- Bring in speakers or have staff from your site give a presentation.
|Demonstrate proper hand-washing techniques
|Invite patients & family members to ask, listen, and talk
- Create an open environment for patients or family members to ask questions.
- Let patients know that they can feel comfortable asking their health care professionals to clean their hands.
- Create a team challenge to decorate hand cleaning stations around the site
- This challenge will draw attention to the hand cleaning stations throughout the day
- (Decorating can be as simple as adding stickers and inspirational sayings. e.g. “Give yourself a high five if you practice optimal hand hygiene!”)
- A winner can be awarded by popular vote or by electing a display judge
|Create awareness about patient safety initiatives your site is involved in
- Your staff may be aware of the importance of patient safety initiatives at your site, but do your patients?
- Give a presentation to patients/clients about patient safety initiatives at your site and what you’re doing to make their care safer.
- Provide suggestions on what they can do to help keep them safe, such as knowing their medications, understanding the importance of hand hygiene, or potential hazards or risks for falls, etc.