About the Session
The Canadian Patient Safety Institute (CPSI), in collaboration with Patients for Patient Safety Canada (PFPSC), Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital (HBKRH) and the Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids), is pleased to offer the Become a Patient and Family Leader Patient Safety Trainer course.
This is a high impact, train-the-trainer patient safety education program for Patient and Family leaders and advisory members. This session will provide key elements of understanding for patients and families surrounding system issues that contribute to patient safety, as well as how to partner effectively with clinicians to co-create safe systems within healthcare.
This session is intended for Patient and Family members currently supporting healthcare organizations with Patient and Family Engagement initiatives. Patient and Family members will learn about patient safety content and how to teach to advance patient safety knowledge.
Program participants will learn how to:
- effectively teach other patient and family leaders using the Patient Safety Education Program (PSEP) – Canada Core Curriculum about patient safety content, including teamwork, communication, safety culture and undertsanding how to effectively partner with healthcare providers
- influence other patients and families' attitudes and behaviours toward an understanding that patient safety is essential in their or their loved one's care. This would include an understanding of the factors which can reduce the risk of patient harm/contribute significantly to improving patient safety in the healthcare environment
- utilize the PSEP – Canada Core Curriculum to engage and inspire patient and family leaders when partnering in the design and implementation of quality and safety improvement projects
- collaborate effectively with clinicians in the shared responsiblity of patient safety, for example, identifying environmental factors that may contribute to patient harm and communicating concerns with clinicians, staff or administration
- contribute to the culture of patient safety across the organization using various approaches to manage risks and influence system change
- participate in a significant cultural shift of patient safety education for patients and families within the organization by acquiring skills and abilities to teach patient safety to others
Conference Information Brochure
Click here to download a copy of the program information brochure, which includes the course agenda and general session information.
Executive Session Webinar
To support the spread and sustainability of PSEP – Canada initiatives and to provide a strong endorsement of the patient and family leaders efforts, senior executive sponsorship is a critical success factor. Participants in the program are encouraged to have a commitment from an Executive Sponsor from their supporting healthcare organization to take part in a post course executive session webinar which will be hosted on:
December 13th, 2017 [12:00 – 1:00 pm ET]
Please include your Executive Sponsor's contact information from your supporting healthcare organization upon registering for this event. If you do not have a supporting organization who is sponsoring your participation in this event, please disregard this section on the registration form.
The registration fee for participants is $899 per person plus HST.
This session is intended for Patient and Family Members currently supporting healthcare organizations with Patient and Family Engagement initiatives.
We ask that participants register their sponsoring organization for the executive session webinar at the same time as they register for the course. (no additional fee for Executive Sponsor Webinar)
Registration Deadline: October 20th, 2017
Once registered, information will be disseminated via email to registered participants beginning 4 weeks before the start of the course. Participants will receive pre-reading materials, be asked to complete a needs assessment survey and a short pre-test for program evaluation purposes before attending the course.
CANCELLATIONS must be submitted at least two (2) weeks prior to the start of the conference in writing via email to
firstname.lastname@example.org, or 25% of your base fee(s) will be retained as compensation. No refunds will be given for cancellations received less than five business days prior to the event. Substitutions are welcome.
The Canadian Patient Safety Institute reserves the right to cancel or reschedule a conference subject to registrations. In the case of event cancellation registrants will be notified by email and be offered a full refund.
Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids)
Peter Gilgan Centre for Research and Learning
686 Bay Street
A block of rooms has been reserved for course participants at the Pantages Hotel Downtown Toronto at the negotiated rate of $189/night (limited availability – book before October 18th).
Individuals shall call the Hotel directly at 416-362-1777 x 1 or 1-855-852-1777 to advise name, arrival and departure date, and advise reservations agent of group rate Canadian Patient Safety Institute - Courtesy Block (code # 550364). Any individual reservation related inquires should be directed to email@example.com.
For more information
For additional event information and questions, please contact the PSEP – Canada team at
firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at 1 866 421 6933 ext 8225.